Monday, April 5, 2010

Need: New Whip

Last week I took my Alleycat aka Oldsmobile Alero (2001 edition - classic) to the shop for a "routine" check-up. Only to find out she needs $990 worth of repairs and soon. She is leaking coolant into the oil pan....grrrrreat. Well as you can imagine my current whip is worth about about the same amount as those repairs so that's a no-go. As of last Thursday I am currently in the car market. Some whips in contention (please stop reading now if you are an American car only kinda person)
  • Toyota Prius (duh, what car matches my personality better than a Prius). Potential concerns: does it drive well in the snow? I've heard repairs are expensive and batteries need to be replaced often. Has the whole recall issue, has it been fixed?
  • Hyundai Sonata. Went to drive a Mazada 6 and saw this car and decided to drive it. Solid whip, solid price, Ryan loves it. Gas mileage is mediocre as this is a full-size sedan.
  • All compact cars and SUV's are ruled out
  • The only potential GM car in contention is the Malibu which isn't that appealing

Today I went to test drive a Prius and the salesman was horrible. Knew nothing about the car - I was basically selling the car to myself....horrible and disappointing. My search continues but who knew car shopping sucked so bad.

3 comments:

  1. Im sorry to hear about your poor allycat. What about the Chevy Volt? Or a Taurus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Anthony - but can you really see me in a Taurus? I know I'm a Paruch now but come on. I can't find the Volt yet because it starts in 2011, although interestingly enough the plant that will make them is less than 2 miles from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a point. Have you decided what you are going to get? I would get a Lotus Elise but that might be a bit impractical for your purposes haha. Let me know what you decide on even though I know it is probably going to be a Prius.

    ReplyDelete