Monday, February 22, 2010

When Allergies Attack!

This weekend was quite eventful in the land of dogs. Jillie had an allergy attack. Yes, my poor baby got very sick and had to go the puppy ER. We don't know what caused the attack, and most likely never will. For the next time we are armed with meds, in case of a puppy emergency.

I had never seen an allergic reaction in a dog before, but right away I knew that's what was happening. How can an 11-pound dog get so sick and swollen so fast, only one thing, a severe allergic reaction. Since we were out-of-town it was doubly difficult, as we couldn't contact Jillie's regular vet. We called literally every vet office in Southwest Michigan to find someone who would treat our dog on a Saturday night. Finally we got ahold of Dr. Ed in St. Joe, who paused spending time with his kids to come and rescue my kid. First, we gave Jillie a 25 mg Benadyrl for the ride to the vet. This helped stop the swelling increase (at this point Jillie looked like a Basset Hound). At the vet Jillie was given a shot to reduce the swelling, itching and vomiting. We were given pills in case this ever happened again. Like an ever-ready mom they now get prominent positioning my purse, which is always with me.

Why do I share this story with my 5-10 followers. To let you know all know what a puppy allergic reaction looks like and how to treat it....immediately give your dog a Benadyrl and call the ER vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment