Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ma Vie Dans La D

Translation: My Life in The D. I feel like that sounds so much cooler than it really is.....ah, life.

In the past 2+ years I've lived in many cities. 2 major ones at that. From Kalamazoo to Chicago to Portage to Lake Orion. I like to think I'm a classy nomad. In each city I live in I try to find cool things to do (easy in Chicago - difficult in Portage). For example, if there is a farmer's market nearby you can bet I know about it, and these days if it's dog-friendly you can bet I visit.

In Chicago, my favorite market was the Randolph Street Market - if you haven't been I highly reccomend it. I scored a gorgeous antique clutch - that later became my wedding day bag. I missed out on an adorable popcorn bowl set that I still look for today (damn it!). In Portage, I was a weekly patron of the Chesteron Farmer's Market (still the best farmer's market to-date, there is a cheese shop that I still order from via online) and the Portage Farmer's Market (in Portage I rode my bike with basket & all to stock-up). Which brings me to Lake Orion and The D, my two best events so far: The Eastern Market and the Pontiac Silverdome Drive-in. Eastern Market was great - I scored 2 hanging baskets for $5 and some great deals on produce. No vegetarian can pass that up. The Drive-in was great because a. it's dog-friendly! b. what's not to love about a Drive-in. However, my biggest mistake with the drive-in was not bringing my own food....rookie mistake! Next time, I'm bringing lots of my own snacks and a cooler for my bevs.

Hopefully more fun events in the D to come, those are just my 2 favorite thus far.

3 comments: