Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cool Things In GR

Since I've lived in GR (Grand Rapids for those non-Michiganders) for 9-months now, I'm almost an official Grand Rapidian (yes, that is a real term). I've noticed Grand Rapids tries really hard to be really cool, and since I'm really nerdy, it is cool enough for me. There a few things I strongly believe GR has going for it: several colleges in town, several large medical facilities, close proximity to Lake Michigan, good restaurants, several trails for hiking, running, walking, cycling, etc., summer festivals, and because of that there is a relatively large population of outdoor enthusiasts, compared to other Michigan cities. Note: we are not comparing ourselves to Denver, California or other typically uber-outdoorsy locations; only other Michigan cities.

What are my favorite things about GR? Several items listed above.....trails, relatively dog-friendly (at least my neighborhood), good shopping (mix of typical chain stores and local boutiques), and a solid base for runners (driven by places like Gazelle's and Metro Health).

So what made me attribute a whole blog to my love of GR....well that solid base of runners decided to organize a fundraiser for Joplin, MO - which I think is awesome. Instead of collecting registration fees, everything will be donated to Joplin's local United Way. So on June 26, hopefully a huge group of people will be ready to run, walk and raise money for Joplin, which doesn't get any better.

This race alone could be a reason people in Grand Rapids are cool. Of course, this won't be the only city organizing a Benefit for Boomtown, but I'm very happy to live in town with one.

No comments:

Post a Comment