Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Murphy's Law in Action


Ever feel like the adage "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" can be so accurate it is almost depressing? Or the spin-off of Murphy's Law "give the most inappropriate time for something to go wrong, that's when it will occur."

Well last week ....as our ceiling began to fall, I sure felt like whoever Murphy's law is named after was proud of his gremlins and the giggled watching his law flip my week upside down. Now, the ceilling situation alone was a dilemma; however, it was compounded by the fact that my partner in home ownership and life was OOT (out.of.town!) not only him, but everyone at the top of my emergency phone list chain of command (Ryan, my dad, his dad). All 3 were enjoying vacation, while I'm trapped with my collapsing ceiling. It sounds highly dramatic, but at the time is was a bit concerning.

Once I learned the first order of business was to prop the ceiling with 2x4's it led to more dilemmas.
  1. 2x4's inside a Prius, that's a joke, right?
  2. Me, sawing 2x4's to the appropriate length, that's a farce, right? I'm not even trusted to cut vegetables.
  3. Propping the appropriately sized 2x4's to support the ceiling until a contractor and permanent fix are decided upon. Wait, am I candid camera, in my own home?
Luckily, I convinced a contractor to come and setup props to hold the ceiling temporarily (phew!). So what caused the ceiling to collapse? Laminate ceilings....note if you ever look at a home built in the mid-1970's - are the ceilings laminate ceilings?

In the long-run, we now have a contractor setup to come permanently fix the ceilings (throughout our home) and my better half is now back from vacation.

À bientôt!

1 comment:

  1. Bummer! Sorry, Ris! Kudos for taking charge, though! I hope everything is back to normal soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete