Monday, August 29, 2011

Small Town Girl

So during the past week I have learned how small town I truly am. For work I spent 2 days at the Magic show in Vegas, where I saw some real fashion, which will unlikely hit the Midwest with the same vengeance. Furthermore once it hits GR it would be even more subdued. The sheer lace pants....don't work in the winter wonderland. Plunging necklines....I'm pretty sure that is office out of control around here. Leather harness accessories....not in Republican range of Michigan. Now, I have never been a slave to fashion, but that was reinforced at the show. My wardrobe consists of utilitarian basics, with an occasional fashion fundamental from Rue La La.

Now my small town lifestyle was further confirmed in LA. The car pool lane was the highlight of my driving experience; which consisted of driving through East LA, Inglewood, and South Central LA, among other areas. All far more interesting and diverse than Southwest Michigan. Note: when I say driving through these neighborhoods, I don't mean passing by on the highway. Each neighborhood was unique, interesting and distinctive; unlike most of my home turf - Southwest Michigan.

My default saying for anything new and interesting is "Wow, that is so cool." Yes, I'm working on expanding that into something more verbose, professional or adult-like. If I had been recording myself (which obviously, I don't) it would be truly embarrassing.

This was the first time I really started to see the difference between Midwest conservatism and West Coast cool. My pedestrian style wouldn't last a minute among the California chic. I'm relatively sure I could never cut it as a "California Girl" (thank you Katy Perry). While I might be "Fine, Fresh, and Fierce" in my own mind. There are a few things I don't want "Sun-kissed skin, so hot" (we call that skin cancer prone here), "Sand in my stilettos" (I'm a flats kinda girl), "Toned, tan, fit and ready" (Okay, I'm working on the toned and fit part - but keep in mind we have 4 months of darkness & cold). I'm still working on my own version called "Michigan Girl" thank goodness for Journey or we would have nothing. Since Katy had Snoop and Alicia had Jay-Z, I assume Eminem will make himself available for my "Michigan Girl" anthem, if needed I'll take Kid Rock though.

No comments:

Post a Comment