Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Life lesson learned

Ever do something then think shit, that was stupid? Well I do, and often, then I just chalk it up to a learning experience. This was the case with using a world phone in Antigua. Now, I have experience with world phones from my study abroad days, yes imagine life without a cell phone, then those pay phones come in handy. However, things in the Caribbean most be rigged for "rich tourists" unlike "poor students/backpackers" in Europe. I think to myself "I should call my parents and check-in" well I decide to use the world phone at the dock in Antigua. BAD IDEA.

I made a total of 3 calls - 2 of which went straight to voicemail. This week I learned how much those calls cost me. $41 + change PER CALL!!! Are you kidding me?! This was my first reaction - $120 for a 2 minute call to my parents! First step, call Chase and see what they can do....scored a contact number for this mysterious telecom company. Next, I call the telecom company and explain my situation. Fortunately for me, the representative takes pity on me and tells me since I am a first time user (NOTE: and last time user) they might be able to credit me back. I was able to get $60 back - which was nice. Still the $60 2-minute call to my parents is now my most expensive call ever......life lessons learned.....never use a world phone at a cruise ship port.

2 comments:

  1. uhhh, my WHOLE LIFE is a, "uhhhh, shit, that was stupid" situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess i should have told you about when I did that in Mexico on our honeymoon. It cost me about the same and we did the same thing, we only called to check in, sorry man.

    ReplyDelete